ESO's day-night cycle - too long?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics' started by tiby, May 21, 2013.

1. tiby

tiby Initiate

It has been mentioned in a past interview somewhere by Paul Sage (if i'm not mistaken), that the day-night cycle will last 8h (dawn to dawn). While I love the day/night cycles in MMOs I somehow feel that the cycle length is a bit..long. What do you think?
  2. Sandman

Sandman Invoker

Daggerfall Covenant
    I dont really see why it shouldnt just mirror real life. Im ok with the game world matching up with current day/night cycles even factoring in equinoxes.
  3. vexx

vexx Dungeon Keeper Staff Member

Teso Elite
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Dark Elf
    Dragonknight
    well I think the problem will be with those coming back from work in the night and logging in..but other than that, I think i'm ok with it...I just love night/day cycles :)
  4. Yukonjack

Yukonjack Invoker

I am fine with the cycle. Would perfer that the night part is a bit shorter (sorry with age comes eyes not seeing as well)!

Only thing that would be a bummer if they add aging, which would be 3 times as fast as real life!!! :eek:
    Isende likes this.
  5. alexe

alexe Brewmaster Staff Member

Daggerfall Covenant
    High Elf
    Sorcerer
    This doesn't affect me in any way, day or night, both are fine for me. It wont affect my game play :)
  6. Sandman

Sandman Invoker

Daggerfall Covenant
    you know that raises an interesting question. In most mmos nothing really changes when night falls. However I've rean never numerous places where npcs don't just stand in place 24/7 and the world feels alive. if its taken to the skyrim/oblivion/morrowind might they take it so far as to only have shopkeeps open during the daytime?

if the answer is yea than the 8hr day cycle makes sense as it may otherwise be totaly unplayable for oceanic players due to using the megasever system where it may never sync up. I can't wait for the NDA to lift and info to come out.
    Messy1 likes this.
  7. alexe

alexe Brewmaster Staff Member

Daggerfall Covenant
    High Elf
    Sorcerer
    Oh that would be nice. But i think it's kinda impossible to do it in a MMO. In single player, take Skyrim for example, you can go rent a room and sleep 8 hrs in-game (10 secs IRL) and the shops will be open. In MMOs that's not possible and they will have a lot of gamers playing during night ... so i find it hard to believe this will happen.

Or they could add some night shops with different prices and stuff lol.
  8. Sandman

Sandman Invoker

Daggerfall Covenant
    alexe

Thats kinda what I was thinking, if it follows logical patterns more of the crooked merchants would operate durring the night, where more legit would be open durring the day but still just seems like a whole lot to have to process through for a mmo. It might create some interesting situations though.

I dunno /shrug im just trying to figure out why they would go to a 8hr day/night cycle.
    Messy1 likes this.
  9. SafariS

SafariS Invoker

No way they will "close npc shops" during nights in a mmo. I don't think the day and night cycle will affect our game play.
  10. Senyn Blackwolf

Senyn Blackwolf Invoker

Ebonheart Pact
    From dawn to dawn. Hmm. Sounds fair enough. Now im just wondering about the time zones. I hope i can make it for dusk at least ^^
  11. Messy1

Messy1 Grand Master TE Supporter

Mercenary Marauders of M'kai
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Breton
    Nightblade
    I like your idea of having legit shops open during the day and crooked shops open at night. Also, Khajit caravans should be around a bunch with 24 hr service. I mean I think it would be cool not to have "ultra-convenient" 24/7 vendors, make people wait to buy their potions lol
    Avalonfaye likes this.
  12. Messy1

Messy1 Grand Master TE Supporter

Mercenary Marauders of M'kai
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Breton
    Nightblade
    I saw in a couple ESO website videos that night time will improve sneak abilities (as it should). So I think there will be some interesting changes in game dynamics between night and day. Also, I have to assume that you will be more likely to encounter werewolves and vampires at night:cool:
  13. HumanOverclock

HumanOverclock Novice

Ebonheart Pact

Hi Tiby! Buffed.de published an Interview with Lead Crative Director Paul Sage on 6/5/13. You can check it out at youtube.com/watch?v=11oYk7jHElg
    At 3 minutes, Paul Sage says there will be six cycles in a day. Since there is 24 hours in a day, this means that the day/night cycle will be every 4 hours. Hope this helps!
    vexx likes this.
  14. Alter-Mosaicus

Alter-Mosaicus Novice

Aldmeri Dominion
    I'm very glad there will be a day/night cycle. 8H is a bit long IMHO. 4 seems better for the exact reasons given. Weekday play- a lot of us get 2 hrs play time tops..if it's all at night...
    Garbrac likes this.
  15. Templarnis

Templarnis Invoker

Daggerfall Covenant
    Redguard
    Templar
    I am fine with the Day and night cycle being different than real life. I want to be immersed in the game as much as possible. It be cool if Tamriel had its own lunar cycles. Wooooohoooooo :D
  16. Petromir

Petromir Invoker

Dragonknight

Here is the issue, even if there are no ToD affected quests, it only ever being night when you can get on would be a bit oppressive.

Getting the balance between to much.
  17. Ledermayer

Ledermayer Invoker

Dark Brotherhood
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Templar
    I think they wont add any aging feature to the game, since at character creation sheet you can set your age. But I like the idea, where all characters are mature, by the years you spend in the game.
  18. Dr_Chainsaw

Dr_Chainsaw Not a Doctor

TESO Elite (US)
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Redguard
    Dragonknight
    I remember back in EverQuest I used to hate when it would turn to night because you literally couldn't see. I used to have to carry around a beetle eye or a lantern or glowstone in my inventory just so I could play. So while graphics and technology have changed, I still cringe a bit about a day and night cycle.

However! Having played Skyrim way too much to be healthy, I love what they did there and through this beta Zenimax has really showed us that they can implement a lot of cool things and not just make them arbitrary. Just look at the vamp skill line, a lot of those skills are more powerful at night. So your main tank is also a vamp, looks like you should try and tank at night. Little things like that help with immersion and the game is really taking on a life of its own. And by doing an 8 hour cycle, if you only play at 8pm your time, you will never be stuck in only playing at night, it will always be different (well, every 2 days it will change), which is cool.
  19. Isende

Isende Magister TE Supporter

Aldmeri Dominion
    High Elf
    Dragonknight
    problem with day-night cycles being a long time is different people play from different parts of the world, so if it's night cycle in the united states, matching say the east coast's night cycle, players in australia, india, china and others would be waking up and gaming in a night cycle. i do think eight hours is REALLY long. but playing through the betas, i don't recall it being that long. was i just oblivious?

i DO have to point out, though, that one of the things my husband and i noticed and LOVED is that if it's early morning here, it's also early morning in the city next to here, which you have to zone into. in ssssoooooo many games, it's been a deal of "ok, i'm in this city. now, i walk out the gates, which will zone me, and all of a sudden it's late night! wtf?" eso did a great job on making it all the same.
  20. Isria_ShadowWolf

Isria_ShadowWolf Disciple

Valkyries of Tamriel
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Khajiit
    Nightblade
    wouldn't it cause issues? because if someone in france logs in at like noon, and its night, it might seem odd, or even if they managed to correlate the day/night cycle with each individual player it might cause more bugs and issues just because of the vast info, i think...but I love the day/night cycle, but 8 hours does seem a bit long...maybe 4 hours? 2 for day and 2 for night?