In Elder Scrolls Online all 3 factions have access to all classes, without no restrictions. For a more details regarding factions and races, please visit our factions guide.
Dragon Knight (view class abilities)
The Dragon Knight is a warrior class who is specialized in melee combat. Dragon Knights use a combination of fire spells and offensive melee abilities to obliterate their foes. This class has a mixture of damage dealing, absorption and armor enhancing abilities.
Templar (view class abilities)
The Templar is a damage dealing class able to use restoration magic to heal allies. Templars use the power of the sun to inflict damage and heal themselves or their allies. In comparison, this class is less offensive than the Dragon Knight, but due to its healing proficiency, it brings more survivability to themselves and their allies.
Sorcerer (view class abilities)
The Sorcerer is a powerful offensive class who uses magical skills to destroy his enemies and manipulate the elements. The class uses magicka as its primary resource. The Sorcerer has 3 damage skill sets to choose from: Dark Magic which provides the caster with a great array of crowd control abilities (stuns, knockbacks, disorients), Daedric Summoning that grants combat pets, shields and curses and Storm Calling, which is the pure damage-dealing tree.
Nightblade (view class abilities)
The Nightblade is the assassin/rogue class in Elder Scrolls Online. The Nightblade is a versatile class that can take out enemies in a number of ways, from stealth attacks to crippling enemies with DoTs and render their efforts useless with stuns and snares.Daggers, bows or 1h weapons are the weapons of choice while medium armor looks to be the most suited for the class (with extra bonus to Stamina). The NB skill trees are: Shadow, Assassination and Siphoning.
- Choosing your class in TESO grants you access to a set of basic skills specific to that class. However, it’s important to know that no matter the class, you’ll be able to use any armor or weapon in-game, without any restrictions. TESO has a similar system as the previous Elder Scrolls games, allowing the player to level up weapon mastery for any weapon type, increasing the damage done with that weapon. Mastering a weapon can unlock additional alternative melee attacks that can be slotted.
- Players can use any armor types present in-game either Light Armor, Medium Armor or Heavy Armor or they can choose to wear a mixture of 2 or even all 3 types.
- Players can unlock an extensive array of abilities, but they can only choose to use 6 of them actively. The active skills can be changed at any given time (even during combat), allowing the player to adapt to different situations.
- The main attributes of the game are Health (hitpoints) , Magicka (mana) and Stamina (the resource for weapon abilities and evades). For each level-up, the player can add one point into one of these 3 resources, increasing that attribute’s pool and defining the style of combat for that character.
- Perks are also present in Elder Scrolls Online and can be compared to talents from other MMOs. Perks are the pillars of character development, providing substantial benefits to the overall character progression.
- Class skills, weapon attacks and ultimate abilities level up as you use them in combat. As your mastery improves, the skill type increases and more powerful versions will be unlocked. Higher skill level in a given tree increases the number of abilities a character has access to within that tree.
- While all classes have a basic proficiency with every weapon and armor type, advanced offensive and defensive abilities are unlocked through advancing in the relevant skill trees and using skill points to unlock and upgrade their abilities.
- There are seven confirmed varieties of skill trees within the game: Class, Weapon, Armor, Racial, World, Guild, and AvA (Alliance vs Alliance). In some cases, these specific categories are further broken down. Each class features 3 trees and AvA has also 3 skill trees. Lycanthropy and Vampirism are also present in-game, as an optional quest given skill tree.
- Individual abilities can also be morphed into more advanced versions of their basic form. An ability can be morphed by spending an additional skill point after leveling the that specific ability through 5 ranks. Morphing (transforming) allows the player to choose between two advanced skills but this decision can be respecced.
- There are 6 different types of weapon in-game: one handers, shields, two handers, bows, destruction staves and restoration staves. Each of these categories contains a variety of weapons such as swords, daggers, maces, fire/lightning staves (from destruction staves).