Mounts, why so basic?

JD Dart July 31, 2014 14 Comments » Share

Horse Smile

A horse is a horse of course, of course unless of course that horse is a …. Guar?

As I fed my horsey some apples this morning I found myself thinking once again about how much more ZOS could do with mounts.  I have mentioned before how wonderful some more customization for mounts would be but this centred more around things like costumes and such.

Today however I remembered reading about the horses in Skyrim back when it was released and about how the Nord mounts were a bit slower than others but much hardier and sturdier.  This highlights one of my bigger disappointments upon reaching Vet level or more specifically other factions lands.

Think about it, how cool would it be to reach an Argonian swamp and find a Guar vendor?  How about reaching a Khajiit village and finding a stable hocking big ol’ battle cats?  Instead of just different skins to symbolize the different stats on current horses why not make them different breeds and change them up a bit?

Have the standard basic horses still but for those special ones like the Gaited Horse and the Light Horse make them a specific breed with race specific names.  Take the Gaited horse for example with the stamina bonus, this could be the Nord breed with an appearance a bit shorter and stockier than the others whilst the light horse with the speed bonus could be say a Red Guard breed and appear a bit taller and leaner.

This combined with specific species being found only sold by specific races I feel would add a bit more fun, depth and anticipation to the world of mounts in ESO.

Would you like to see something like this?  What else would you like to be added to mounts?

1. danielvs August 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

ESO is all about to be unique in the game. They have all the different race. Differen Motifs for al the weapons, shields and armor. Now they released the dya stations to be really unique in the game. Only few things left is the mounts and pets. If they release more mounts it would create a more uniqe world. Now there are only horses. Black, brown, white etc. Its not really enough diversity for the players. About the pets you see a lot of people with the scuttle pet. My beta monkey is very rare. So release more pets for more diversity.
    At this point I don't even use my imperial horse anymore. I got bored of using the same animal as thousands of other players.

2. Drawberry August 17, 2014 at 10:40 pm

From my understanding all cat-creatures in the games are Khajit, just different species there of.

It would be awesome to have a Khajit 'stablemaster' selling Senche-tigers or lions :3

3. Ssscarline August 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm
    Ssscarline

I don't mean to be finicky, but I would just like to point out that the Senche and Senche-Raht are not actually khajiit. Hence they are called Senche Tigers. Pahmar are the four legged khajiit. Senche are just animals, and the khajiit do use them as battle mounts, as is specifically mentioned in the "Mixed Unit Tactics" book found in ESO, and in the past three Bethesda created RPG's.

Oops, correction, they are khajiit, but there would be no moral issues as long as the Senche agreed to it. And the Senche are hired out as mounts.

4. Ssscarline August 14, 2014 at 8:47 pm

5. asteldian August 4, 2014 at 8:47 am

For now I would settle for an account wide stable. I can wait for mount variety – though if they make the giant lightning lizards a mount I am all over that

6. Drawberry August 3, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Look at these beautiful mofos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND THEN
    [​IMG]

7. Drawberry August 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I recall a video where someone at Bethesda made comment about them wanting to do more with mounts, but it wasn't elaborated upon past that. I am 100% game for more mounts. Mounts that are 'lore frendly' for the area your in. Mounts that are exlcusive to vet content. MOUNT COSTUMES.

Yessssss

I was playing Skyrim last night and thought aloud how I actually preferred the style of horse in that game versus ESO. Even the loading screen mentions how Nordic horses are hearty and strong. It would be awesome ness to be able to buy one of those giant fluffy horses in the Ebonheart Pact. They would be a great 'pack horse' kind of class. Do horses have a 'class'? I guess now they do.

In terms of 'battle cat mounts'; even the Khajit do it! The ones that are bipedal are known to raise and use Senche (the tigers or other large predatory cats) as battle mounts. They're temperamental and their loyalties are often dependent on who has the most food >> You could feed your Senche different meats to gain the different bonuses! Hell, the model already exists in the game.

8. danielvs August 2, 2014 at 7:18 am

Great Idea!
    I also thougt about the guar mounts! Really wanna have one of those.
    Dark Elfs could have black horses (like in some stories, horses from hell)
    Wood Elfs could have tigers or some sort, maybe big lizards ( maybe this could get in conflict with the argonians)

Hope ZOS releases much more mounts!

9. ZeroNeonix August 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Guar mounts are in the works. No idea what else they have in mind. It would be cool if there was a rare unicorn that could be found (like in Oblivion). Battlecats would be cool, but they're Khajiit, not just animals. There'd have to be a good explanation for having one available.

10. Messy1 August 1, 2014 at 4:21 am

Yeah, I do agree that more could be done with the mount system. It does seem a little plain Jane right now. I was kinda shocked when I hit lvl 50 with my mount and then found out I could not level it anymore. The slider bars that show the progress for stamina, speed, etc . . . make it look like you can level your horse forever. I do agree with the writer of the article it would be much better if different stables in different factions sold different kinds of mounts. I'm still a little skeptical and introducing too many fantastical creatures as mounts otherwise it would seem too much like other MMOs. All in all, I think that ESO has done a fabulous job at customization options and it's only going to get better. Now here's an idea if four players in a group get together with mounts they could do quests with caravans or stage coaches transporting goods from various cities in there alliance and try to deliver the goods without being ambushed and killed. Similarly in Cyrodil have caravan mission.

11. Varulae Elsinlock August 1, 2014 at 12:01 am
    RedSatyr

I'm sure they've considered it, but this probably has as much priority as housing. A popular idea, but they won't lose people if it's not implemented asap.

I agree, there is much more on the table to fix and add that have a priority over these types of things. Plus holding off will give them more content to release in the future :P Aka holding onto their promise of regular content updates XD

Overall though I'm happy with almost anything they release and update. Like I've said in the past and will continue to say. As long as updates are not game breaking and it allows me to have fun then I'm content. I see no reason to flame/rage/quit over something so simple.

12. RedSatyr July 31, 2014 at 11:37 pm

13. Varulae Elsinlock July 31, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I would love to use the big cats as a mount, but that may cause some moral issues with the Khajit :P It would be awesome to see more mounts added, provided they have their own benefits and not just a clone the horse and its traits.

14. Powell July 31, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Great post, great idea… that would be awesome!