Ban Hammer Hits Hard

Garbrac April 11, 2014 29 Comments » Share

Jessica Folsom, took to the forums to inform the community that Zenimax has a firm stance on those who want to cheat within the Elder Scrolls Online. The game has been out for not even two weeks and we’re seeing reports of thousands of accounts being banned. This is one of the most exciting things to see. I am glad to be supporting a game that has such a strong belief and no tolerance policy when it comes to those that want to take advantage of the community.

Posted By: Jessica_Folsom
Today, we made our first major strike against those who choose to cheat in ESO, permanently banning thousands. This is only the beginning of our ongoing efforts to keep the game free from botters, speed hackers, and gold spammers. We want to thank everyone who has sent in-game reports about these individuals in ESO—your reports helped us identify many of the accounts we banned today. Please continue to report any botters, gold spammers, and speed hackers you see in-game, and we’ll continue our efforts to keep them out of Tamriel.

source

1. Kokopele April 12, 2014 at 9:12 pm
    Kaleka

WARNING

ZOS is now cracking down on people who send too many mails at one time. Not sure what the exact number is. I have heard from two guild leaders who send newsletters to there members and got an instant no questions asked suspension on there account. They have yet to get there suspensions lifted even after contacting ZOS to explain the situation.

Also be warned that they are beginning to suspend people who log in and out repeatedly to acquire mats, motifs, and skill points from books.

Just thought you all would like to know.

As much as I hate gold spamming and all that I think more focus should be given to broken quests and getting out game time cards, and letting people who have bought the game play it who are still waiting for the box set to arrive. Just my honest opinion.

this scares me. Not that I do any of these things, but because the tactic doesn't solve the bots or spammers, just works to frustrate players.

2. Kaleka April 12, 2014 at 8:45 pm

WARNING

Just thought you all would like to know.

3. Morwandil April 12, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Hang'em high!

4. Kittykatchlo April 12, 2014 at 2:29 pm
    ESO-Demarco

I have been making reports since Early Access, good for ZOS getting the whammy out. But as of this morning one of the worst gold farmers were sending in game email…. I reported that as well.

I have also run across players in chat that ask questions like "I'm such noob but I wonder how can I get back to Cold Harbour?" I tried to reply and the system says the id does not exist… I reported this as a spammer as well. I have made it my purpose in game to remedy this MMO of that filth. All gold buyers do is create inflation, it sets an artificial threshold on the average players bank. In the long run it forces a player to either buy gold or do without. That's why they should all be banned and I will do my part to see it done.

In regards to the bolded statement – I've also tried to group up with our members in the TESO Elite guild and had this reply. Definitely wasn't botting because he then sent me a request and it worked just fine. I've actually had this happen to with various people in our guild.

5. Kokopele April 12, 2014 at 2:03 pm
    Shadelon

With the bolded text, if you're talking about the subscription for the console's online network itself (PS+, Xbox Live Gold), the PS4 version does NOT require a PS Plus subscription, so on that point there's really no difference between PS4 and PC.

The buy in cost for the console itself. Cheaters on XBox360 that were caught were banned from using the system online.

6. Messy1 April 12, 2014 at 12:33 pm

They need to keep dropping the hammer and make gold spamming and botting so unprofitable that the invasion ceases. It will be bloody carnage for a while, but we shall prevail!!! Are there any bots in PvP? We could start a bot kill count thread. Lol, divines help us if a bot ever becomes emperor :(

7. Pigzilla April 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I have noticed a significant drop in the number of bot sightings and gold spammers. Great work Zenimax!

8. Messy1 April 12, 2014 at 9:11 am

I encountered a low level dungeon bot today the characters name was nnaatteeyy that should have been my first tip off. It was very convincing for a while that it might be a real person, but then after our 3rd dungeon it glitched and kep repeating "Want to do another dungeon?" "Who wants another run?" Or something like that. It like spammed those things even after I said no. It must have been using the grouping tool to insert itself in parties. It was really convincing up until the end.

9. Isende April 12, 2014 at 4:00 am
    Kokopele

So in the aftermath we see the following behavior:

Bots are reappearing in mass at lower level dungeons (as of my observations 8 hours ago at Ilessan Tower) and moving else where. The teleport bot resource gathering continues, I caught two today near the Bealborn quest starting location (4 iron ore, 3 jute spawns compacted together gave me enough time to run down two of them).

They are all with a few exceptions in coldharbour prisoner rags. The few others I believe are bots that were missed in account bans.

I also noticed a new spamming method. Spam bots are using guild creation and guild invite tools as a form of spam.

guild names such as: www ggatm com sell gold?

Replace the question mark with a letter of the alphabet. They are likely getting caught and disbanded when all of their members are likely removed from game, thus separate bots are creating guilds and using a method to automatically pull names and place them into the guild invite box.

This domain shows up to be registered with a bejing based registar.

Combat bots are vulnerable to being countered. If you find yourself in a dungeon where bots smack down the boss with their massive numbers and computer driven reflexes you can draw their attention away with the following method. Combat bots currently appear to attack certain summons and vanity pers, but not all. The Volatile Summon and mudcrab are very popular baits for these combat bots. they will spam abilties at these unkillable creatures ignoring the boss when it spawns. You can use that window to kill the boss yourself or do enough dps to get credit.

Teleporting bots no longer appear to teleport to a resource if you have the window for that resource open. So they no longer appear to pile up. In some instances teleporting bots will teleport to a resource at the same time, resulting in one that appears to be stuck. This is rare.

What does observing bot behavior tell us?

The client has information of the types of creatures on the screen. The types of summons and vanity pets they attack the most have a boss of that type within the first two zones of the game.

The client provides information remotely if a resource is being accessed by someone else at a distance.

The guild spammer and bots reveal that the @jumbled names, accounts are not stolen or hacked, they are purchased or keys are stolen. If purchased that likely means that they are either making more money in gold sell then the cost of the client per bot and spammers, or are doing it at a loss. If at a loss, this could be some form of money laundering (stolen credit cards to purchase game, try to make % back, all profit).

edit: Today I started a new guild "Report bots now"

I am firmly committed to the eradication of bots from ESO and will be starting to grow community awareness of the problem and impact it has on us socially.

you know, i keep sayin' it — trion had a fantastic system that WORKED. coin-locking. eso is trying to implement something similar, but their system is rife with bugs, resulting in folk getting banned who shouldn't.

here's a question: why do we not have second-party authorization available? that would at least help on the jacked accounts. won't, likely, help with the idiots who buy the gold and get their credit cards stolen … but they get what they deserve, imo.