Adventuring through Tamriel, you’ll find a bunch of locked treasure chests that yield awesome loot. However, to unlock these chests you’ll need at least one lockpick – lockpicks can be bought from certain vendors or it can be found on chests, drawers, wardrobes or boxes. All of these can be found scattered all over the word and again, don’t forget to leave any un-looted.
Lockpicking a locked treasure chest is a fairly simple process and once you get used to it, it will be way more easier to unlock advanced/expert level treasure chests.
How to pick a lock
To unlock a treasure chest you must first unlock each of its 5 pins in a given time period. As the lock level (lock difficutly) gets higher, the available timer decreases and the pins break easier.
- Position your lockpick over a pin. You don’t have the do it in a given order, you can start and continue with any random pin.
- Press and hold your left mouse button to push the pin until it starts trembling.
- Release the mouse immediately and the pin will get locked down.
- Do this with every pin and the chest will open.
- If you release too early, the pins will reset. If you release too late, the lockpick will break.
TIP: When lockpicking a chest, turn the sound a little bit higher and you’ll hear when the pin’s about tho jiggle.
As I mentioned at the beginning of the how to, you are given a limited time to complete the unlocking process. Simple lock level chests give you a 25 seconds time frame while the more difficult ones decrease the timer. Also, it’s worth to mention that even if you fail a chest, you can retry it again if you have another lockpick.
And because people are awesome (thanks @twincannon on Reddit), we found a lockpick simulator so you can test and improve your skills. Enjoy!